just an apprentice

the Word became flesh and dwelt among us...

Thursday, October 12, 2006

Protestant vs. Catholic heaven

First a disclaimer. I have never been an apologist for The Simpsons. In fact, I have never even watched one episode. If anything, my view would be that The Simpsons have had a negative impact on our culture. Nevertheless they represent an influential media phenomenon.


I found this bit of pop-culture theologizing to be interesting. For what it is worth (probably not much)--here is The Simpsons take on Protestant vs. Catholic heaven.





Anyone want to do a little cultural exegesis?

7 Comments:

  • At 8:34 PM , Blogger Fr Longenecker said...

    Terrific! The Catholics living life to the full and the Protestants in a country club...I love it, and have linked to it on my blog.

     
  • At 10:04 PM , Blogger Gecko Girl said...

    Anyone know the trick to getting the clip to run? I downloaded 2 different Adobe video things and I still get the message that I either have JavaScript turned off (which I have no idea how to know if I do or don't) or need to download something. Or do I need to log-on to youtube???

     
  • At 10:13 PM , Blogger Gecko Girl said...

    By the way, an excellent Bible professor my husband and I had in college used to use the Simpsons a lot in his ethics and apologetics courses. Those were the only episodes I think I really ever watched. Maybe our prof would say that the Simpsons have had a negative impact on our society, but I suspect he would be more apt to say the Simpsons are a window into the mentality embedded within in our culture???

     
  • At 5:23 AM , Blogger Brian Miller said...

    Perhaps registering with youtube (free) is the key to being able to run clips. Not sure.

     
  • At 5:54 AM , Blogger Ted M. Gossard said...

    ha ha, Brian. There is some truth there.

     
  • At 6:21 AM , Blogger Fr Longenecker said...

    gecko girl. You have to run out and buy a new computer...

     
  • At 6:34 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Do you suppose that the Mennonite heaven would have dancing? It looks like the Catholics are having a whole lot more fun!

    Audrey

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home