just an apprentice

the Word became flesh and dwelt among us...

Friday, December 09, 2005

December Snow


Snow days are awesome! Joe Zehr used to give me a hard time (in good fun) about how easy I had it as a teacher. 3 months vacation, working inside on cold winter days, snow days.... Hey, there are some definite perks. I may go out and split some wood just for Joe.

We had our second orchestra practice last evening. It is actually pretty amazing that we can pull together a 15 member orchestra for a church our size (150). Some of us are past our prime, trying to get the most out of our out of shape chops, hoping that we recover in time for the next practice or performance. It has inspired me to go ahead and use some of my Christmas and birthday money to purchase a trumpet. I sold my trumpet in college, thinking I would never play again. And you know how desperate college kids are for money. Kevin Smoker is good enough to let me borrow his cornet each Christmas and Easter for the church orchestra. I thought having one around the house will encourage the children's interest in music.

May Sarton wrote a great poem for days like this one, entitled December Moon.

I have yet to turn in my registration for the Jingle Bell run on Sunday. I'm trying not to pay attention to the voice in my head that is telling me to forget about it. I'm not worried about keeping up with Sally anymore (those days are long gone), I just don't want to disappoint her by not running!!

2 Comments:

  • At 7:28 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Brian, thanks for your post today. I didn't know you had practice last eve. Guess we'll have to double check since we cleaned Thurs morn.:) Appreciated the link to EMU; found Tom Fox's web blog there. Good thoughts he has written. Hey, I think you younger guys should form a vocal music group for our inspiration. What do you think? jim

     
  • At 8:27 PM , Blogger Brian Miller said...

    Thanks for your comments Jim. I have added Tom Fox's blog to my links.

    As far as the vocal music group, it sounds like a good idea. I was thinking about developing a brass ensemble to play more frequently.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home