just an apprentice

the Word became flesh and dwelt among us...

Thursday, September 29, 2005

Christian subversion

Why am I discouraged?
Why so sad?
I will put my hope in God!
I will praise him again--
my Savior and my God!
Psalm 43:5

In my reading, I am binging on two authors these days--Parker Palmer and Eugune Peterson. Here is a morsal from The Contemplative Pastor: Returning to the Art of Spiritual Direction, by Peterson:

The subversive is someone who takes on the coloration of the culture, as far as everyone else can see. If he loses thte coloration he loses his effectiveness. The subversive works quietly and hiddenly, patiently. He has committed himself to Christ's victory over culture and is willing to do those small things. No subversive ever does anything big. He is always carrying secret messages, planting suspicion that there is something beyond what the culture says is final.

What are some specific acts of Christian subversion?
They're common Christian acts. The acts of sacrificial love, justice, and hope.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home