just an apprentice

the Word became flesh and dwelt among us...

Thursday, April 20, 2006

An Incredible Journey

Several times in the last month I have heard or read about the incredible journey of Eric Kennel and Dave Landis. I have been taking a seminary course this spring in Lancaster with Eric. I read about the trip in the recent Lamplighter, the alumni publication of Christopher Dock. I also heard that Eric shared about his trip with the board of Kids and Cultures. The trip lasted 431 days. They went to 45 countries on 4 continents! Wow!

I am amazed by the wise impulses that led to this trip and the insights gained over the many miles of travel. You can read more about their trip at Viva el Viaje.

I find within myself many similar yearnings and interests--to see the world from a global perspective, to be able to travel, to approach life as a journey, to understand the value of pilgrimage in the spiritual life...

If you get a chance, I highly recommend taking the time to read Eric's journal entry from December 5, 2005. My prayer is that more Americans will come to see the dangers of continuing our present course of foreign policy.

1 Comments:

  • At 9:43 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Brian,

    I took some time on a rainy Satruday morning to read this post. I also read Eric's journal entry that your reccomended.

    On this dreary day I find it sobering to think about all that we Americans have rained down on others to move ourselves one more rung up the ladder to international domainance. And I am ingnorant of almost all of the rain that has fallen. I only know what has splashed on me & in my ears from a definanly biased "home court" stance.

    I yearn, like you Brian to see the world from a global perspective. I am & have been hesitant to consider myself an American citizen, eventhough I am. I would much rather be seen as a World citizen. As I sit at MY desk, looking out at MY yard that I think I should fertilized so it looks like the Jones' next door (the "American Dream" mentality/reality), I wonder how can we learn more? How can we change our sphere of influence to see the injustice? How can we drag others along with us in the process? Travel such as Eric & Dave's journey,although the most poignant, isn't reality for most. So what is the next step for me?, for my family?, for us at SMC? How can our "American rain" be replaced with Christ's REIGN?!

    These are questions I will ponder as I journey through this dreary day & I too, along with Eric pray St. Francis' prayer...

    ----------
    Lord, make me an instrument of your peace,
    Where there is hatred, let me sow love;
    where there is injury, pardon;
    where there is doubt, faith;
    where there is despair, hope;
    where there is darkness, light;
    where there is sadness, joy;

    O Divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled as to console;
    to be understood as to understand;
    to be loved as to love.

    For it is in giving that we receive;
    it is in pardoning that we are pardoned;
    and it is in dying that we are born to eternal life.

    -Prayer of St. Francis

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home